Thursday 5 June 2014

Poetry Project

Oceans
Far away from land, the ocean
Keeps a tranquil and mystical façade.
However, when it encounters the cliff,
The ocean sheds its persona
And its waves crash mercilessly against
The jagged walls, with the resulting
Thunderous splash producing
A magnificent cadence.
Above the cliff, the waves of
A pink ocean rolls ceaselessly.
Its branches sway gracefully
And its pink petals drift gently
Towards the earth and the blue water.
As the calm ocean hurtles towards the cliff,
The restless petals quietly garnish
The resounding waves.



For the project, I used various methods to self-publish my poem. I walked around school and the UBC campus to read my poem to people. I posted several copies of my poems on bulletins of a few apartment buildings, the two community centers on the campus and also an ice-cream shop. I wrote my poem on one of the sidewalks and I also posted my poem on Instagram.


At school:

In front of the library
At the staircase
At a club meeting
In the hallway
In the hallway
Group project working time
Whiteboard of French classroom
Beginning of Chemistry class

 
 Bulletins:
Acadia Community Center, Commons Block
Menchie's
School
Old Barn Community Center

Apartment building (mail box)
Save-on Foods
Apartment building (mail box)
Apartment building


 UBC Campus:
Playground
Wesbook Village



 Additional:
Signatures when there were no photo opportunities or people did not want their pictures taken.


 Instagram:





Generally, my attempts at self-publishing my poem were very successful. The students were willing to listen to my poem when I approached them at lunch and gave me positive feedback. The two ladies whom I approached on campus were also very kind and I received nice and encouraging feedback from them. At first, I felt somewhat nervous and awkward about approaching people and reading them my poem. However, the favourable comments I received were able to dispel some of my doubts and insecurities and help me gain confidence.

I went to various places that have bulletin boards and posted my poems after receiving permissions to do so. In total, I posted eight copies of my poem on bulletin boards. I was able to read my poem out loud in front of my Chemistry class of around twenty people and write my poem on the whiteboard of the French classroom for later classes to read, thanks to the generosity of my teachers. I also wrote my poem on the sidewalk which proved to be surprisingly difficult and chalk-consuming. Lastly, I shared my poem (posted in two parts) on Instagram.

I read my poem to approximately eighty people at school. The total number of people I reached by using a variety of methods, including going around school and UBC campus, and Instagram, would come to 200-300. Overall, the project was unique and gave me a rewarding experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment