Monday 23 September 2013

Physical or Sedentary?


There exist physical people who love the outdoors and activities. The open air beckons to them with promises of infinite options of activity. The sunshine seeping through shutters lifts the corners of their lips and the rain pitter-pattering on windows in the morning earns their sighs. However, there also exist the sedentary people who would give very different reactions in certain situations. And I will admit to being one of the sedentary people.




On a day full of sunshine, I will be glad to be reading my book with excellent natural lighting and be blessed with a view of azure sky and wandering clouds. On a day of downpour, I will welcome the opportunity to take a nap accompanied by the rain playing a calming symphony. On either day, my choices would not be restricted and I will be able to make the best out of the type of weather Earth decides to bestow upon its denizens. 


On a weekend afternoon when I have free time, I will choose options of spending time that are either computer related, or non-computer related. Even though there are only two categories to choose from, which seems to be a paltry amount, these two categories contain a myriad of options. I may choose to watch a movie or TV show, read a book, bake a cake, master minesweeper, learn astronomy or do many other sedentary activities. With the amount of things I can do while remaining relatively sedentary, it would be very unlikely for me to even consider the option of going outside the door of my apartment. 


There are obvious benefits to being physical, such as the apparent health benefits that the whole world lauds. My parents often tell me not to stay at home and go outside for a run or do some type of exercise. They say I will regret when I become elderly and want to exercise but have my poor physical condition rendering even walking taxing let alone exercising. My parents tell me exercise would slow the process of my becoming senile, but for me such a thing is still too far away even to believe or consider seriously. 


I do not deny the existence of various benefits and advantages of being physical, even with exercising being a nightmare; however, the benefits of being sedentary are just much more tempting to me and the option itself much more welcoming.  Being sedentary would avoid the problem of going somewhere and then face the need of having to come back. Being sedentary would avoid the torture of feeling exhaustion and the lungs’ screams for air. And finally, being sedentary would present as many options of activities as being physical.

3 comments:

  1. oh you are too honest! I am afraid I will have to side with your parents on this one. When you are older, you will be quite unhealthy and that would be unfortunate. Right now, youth is affording you the luxury to be sedentary and not see the repercussions. I am hoping that you'll begin to see the fun and exhilarating feeling of being physically active soon. Research also proves that a physical lifestyle improves cognitive performance (i.e. higher grades) and that your mental and physical health will benefit in the longrun. Hoping you will keep a balance!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think i also fall into the category of being sedentary! but when i recently started to exercise, i found that i enjoyed it more than staying at home sometimes! However, the weather is a restrain to exercising,..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I strongly encourage you to become part of the 'PHYSICAL' society :) in other words, touch/feel the world B)

    ReplyDelete